RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Voice-overs

Paul J. Giguere (pgiguere@ultranet.com)
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:50:48 -0500

Bob,

I agree with you regarding voice-overs. Done well, they can really add to the film. "Sunset Boulevard" and "A Clockwork Orange" are two good examples where you eventually forget there are voice-overs because they don't intrude on the happenings in the film. "Bladerunner" is an example where voice-overs hurt the pace of the film. The director's cut of "Bladerunner" doesn't have voice-overs.

By the way, I'm new to the list (and what a great it is). I simply enjoy reading hard-boiled novels and watching films. I hope to learn more about the genre (and some undiscovered writers and films) and maybe once in awhile make a contribution of my own to the conversation. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Paul Giguere