Re: RARA-AVIS: Carl Hiaasen's new one, Sick Puppy

pabergin (pabergin@gte.net)
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:18:54 -0500

This is BSP. (Blatant Store Promotion), but Hiaasen will be signing at the store for which I handle events & publicity -- Circle Books, in Sarasota -- on March 10. I'm not a big Hiaasen fan (his work has always struck me more as parody aspiring to satire than as crime fiction) but there's no denying he has a legion of fans down here (and out there) and I do not pretend to omniscience. The store takes phone orders. (941) 388-2850.

Other writers (in my opinion harder-boiled, but what do I know?) are Jim Hall Jan. 12, and Les Standiford Feb. 19. Randy Wayne White, Ace Atkins and David Ramus will be there in the late Spring or early Summer, depending on release dates.

Also, Hiaasen's got a pretty good collection of his Miami Herald columns out now, too. Title? Smart Ass. Betcha couldn't see that coming. PB