RARA-AVIS: keys to tulsa

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:04:17 -0500 (EST)

I got an early Christmas present today: The Encyclopedia of Murder and Mystery by Bruce F. Murphy. I've just flipped through it so far, but it seems okay on what it includes. Of course, as with all of this kind of thing, there are some surprising omissions: no Leigh Brackett, no Dolores Hitchens; many recents and contemporaries are included like Crumley, Burke, Ellroy, Dee, Bunker, Rankin, Block, Willeford, Westlake, Lehane, but no Derek Raymond, Ted Lewis or Peter Corris.

Anyway, here's my question, he gives very high praise to Brian Fair Berkey's book Keys to Tulsa, compares it to Crumley and Willeford. Now I've seen the movie of the same title and enjoyed it, but it was strictly post-Red Rock West, made-for-cable. Is the book really that good? Has anyone read it?

Mark