RE: RARA-AVIS: Umberto Eco on Spillane

Pat Zeitoun (pwz@tca.net)
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:39:13 -0600

Enrique Bird [ebird@gmgroup.com]

Enrique,,

Yes 'el centro' is the center, but in the Spanish as spoken in Texas and certainly northern Mexico, 'el centro' is the center of the town or city. It can be the commercial, cultural or a center with residences as well, makes no difference, it is what we call, 'downtown'. In English we can and do use other designations, city central, etc. None of which have anything to do with geography.

Now to confuse the issue even more, I know of no translation of our
'uptown'. Uptown refers to the high rent, high dollar part of a city. For example, 'moving uptown' refers to getting a raise into another income bracket, and not necessarily a geographic move - although almost always a physical move is a part of it.

Cheers,

PatZ