Re: RARA-AVIS: Big Clock

Juri Nummelin (
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:01:52 +0200 (EET)

> Doug and Doug wrote:
> << And here's one I can't recommend:
> Kenneth Fearing -- The Big Clock
> Odd coincidence--I just finished The Big Clock last night and also found it
> disappointing (though not as much as Doug Bassett). It is certainly
> something less than its reputation, and I'm not sure it falls under noir or
> hardboiled, even as defined by the broad categories here.

I had similar thoughts concerning Fearing's other crime novel, "Dagger of the Mind", which was Chandler's favourite. It was written so pretentiously that I wondered how a person like Chandler could've liked it. Fearing is far better as a poet.

And Merry Christmas to all! Not very hardboiled for me - I started to read Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings". Just to take my mind of the work.