Re: RARA-AVIS: Men's magazines

Juri Nummelin (jurnum@utu.fi)
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:29:37 +0200 (EET)

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Bill Crider wrote:

> Zack: I have a theory about what happened to magazines like MAN STORY and
> others: guys don't read any more; they watch videos. I think those
> straight-to-video movies are what replaced those stories you mentioned.

This is exactly what happened in Finland also. Lots of mens' magazines and paperbacks with plenty of action and sex were published in the sixties and the seventies and then suddenly it all fell down. At present there are no more mens' mags (except pornographic ones) and no cheap paperbacks for men. Even the very famous German-Finnish Jerry Cotton series has now been cancelled. This is a shame - I think it would be better if men would read anything than to not read at all.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi