RARA-AVIS: Whoa there, fellas

Martha Pennigar (msmartha@earthlink.net)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:37:53 -0500

I'm with Bruce here (I think). Just exactly why do you, Kevin and Fred, think The Two Jakes is either better than Chinatown in some ways or one of the most underrated PI films ever? It's been 9 years since I saw it, but I remember 2J as being pretty much a mess with one of the most ludicrous and unbelievable plot twists (the daughter) I've ever been handed to swallow. I also remember lots of half-baked scenes between the 2Js that seemed important but failed to jell in any way as to their relevance or meaning, thus leaving this viewer entirely irritated and clueless. I do also recall that Jack and Harvey Keitel gave valiant performances and that the sets and photography were gorgeous. And I'm aware of the problems before and during the filming and how they might have impacted on the finished product. But--2J as being in any way better than Ctown or a good sequel? Oh, no, I don't think so. For me, it's one of the absolute worst movies I ever saw, a real shame and a true waste of talent and opportunity.

Martha