RE: RARA-AVIS: Re:Ripley

Bruce Townley (btownley@sirius.com)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 07:38:27 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 at 09:59 Martha Fischer sent: RE: RARA-AVIS: Re:Ripley

I saw this same print of Rene Clement's PURPLE NOON with Alain Delon at San Francisco's Castro movie palace a year or two ago that Martha mentions. I quite agree with Martha, a <very> stylish piece of filmmaking, deftly outlining Ripley's soulessly lethal and creepily adaptable non-character, setting him against a glossy European backdrop that looks like something out of a VOGUE shoot. Really made me look forward to reading Highsmith's novel.

Bruce T. = btownley@sirius.com
"Who is safe in home with TEENAGE WEREWOLF abroad, with streets under sway of BEAST WITH A THOUSAND EYES? People think these things are jokes, but they are wrong, it is dangerous to ignore a vision, consider Bane-Hipkiss, he has begun to bark."

-Donald Barthelme, "Hiding Man"