RE: RARA-AVIS: Re:Ripley

Martha Fischer (sakana@netzero.net)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 09:59:51 -0600

it's by rene clement, and stars alain delon as ripley. imho, it's an incredible film-- one of delon's best performances, with really gorgeous settings, shot in sumptuous color. it was re-released a few years ago with martin scorsese's name on it-- a beautiful print. clement wimps out at the end, but the ending he sticks on is, to me, as satisfying as one that diverges from that of the book can be.

i've been very worried about this new version, esp the thought of matt damon trying to equal delon, but i must say the previews are starting to give me hope.

martha sakana@netzero.net <mailto:sakana@netzero.net>

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto:owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca]On Behalf Of FICTWRI@aol.com Sent: Monday, December 13, 1999 7:57 AM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re:Ripley

I have heard "The Talented Mr. Ripley" was a French-Italian motion pic in 1960 titled Plein Soleil (Purple Noon). Has anyone seen this version?

John Weaver www.pageonelit.com