RARA-AVIS: Re: Walker

Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 15:06:57 -0400

Wasn't there a TV movie planned once, with some black actor scheduled to play Walker? Isn't this how the question of Walker's race all began?

Because in the books, it certainly seems pretty obvious, from his attitude, that Walker is white. Doesn't some character actually ask, after finally meeting Walker, "Amos? I thought that was a shine name?" Hardly the sort of thing you'd ask a black guy.

And there is a precedent for switching the race of a P.I. for mass consumption. Ask Fred Zackel about how his big Irish gumshoe, Mike Brennan, was brought to life by everyone's favorite murder defendant, O.J. "Mind if I play through?" Simpson, in the TV adaptation of COCAINE AND BLUE EYES.

As for Paul's question, about whether Walker is Jewish, I dunno. Jewish? To me, he looks a little like Marv Albert. And speaking of the covers of the late, lamented NEW BLACK MASK, who knew Spenser favoured Donald Duck sailor suits?

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ It's Time for the 1999 Cheap Thrills P.I. Poll! Vote now! Vote often!