Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Never Street

Doug Bassett (dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:32:14 -0800 (PST)

I think it's important to realize that not everybody had read the great number of hardboiled PI novels that we've all read. There's always going to be new fans, and as such there's always going to be a few new writers who fill that need in the buying public. For us it may well be a case of "been there, done that", but for them it'll be new.

I also think it's important to remember that the strength of the hardboiled PI novel is related to the strength of hardboiled fiction in general. The genre thrived when that off-shoot of naturalism in literature thrived (consider Hemingway, John O'Hara, James Jones, etc.). Why did fall out of fashion? And can it ever come into fashion again?

doug