Re: RARA-AVIS: Philip Kerr

William Denton (
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:09:18 -0500 (EST)

On 10 December 1999, Anders Engwall wrote:

: Now, I'm aware of the followups to Violets -- "The Pale Criminal" and
: "German Requiem" -- but I understand Kerr has also written a lot of
: SF, a genre in which I have very little interest. So, what else of his
: work should I get?

I haven't read those, or _Dead Meat_, which I think you might want to look at. _A Philosophical Investigation_ is SF, and I thought it was dreadful, but it's about serial killers and things so you might want to read the back cover and take a chance. You'd probably want to avoid anything he did after that, like _The Grid_ or _Esau_. _A Five Year Plan_ is a lame Elmore Leonard imitation, and I dropped it after 50 pages. The others are technothrillers and Michael Crichtonish things.

William Denton : Toronto, Canada : : Caveat lector.