Re: RARA-AVIS: Sentimental guys

a.n.smith (
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 23:10:49 -0600

> I'm struggling with this "world view" thing. On the one hand, I get so
> of having to read the author's opinion on social and political issues. On
> the other hand, the protagonist's perspective can really drive the plot.

When I say "Worldview," I don't mean the social and political stuff, which I agree ruins a lot of fiction nowadays. I'm thinking of the way the characters in Hammett and Cain looked at their own lives and the world around them--the one they lived in day by day. More about a personal take on human existance, the gray areas of morality. Something that comes across in the fiction and is compelling and relates to those characters right there, right then.