Re: RARA-AVIS: Sentimental guys

a.n.smith (ansmith@netdoor.com)
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:01:43 -0600

> I just started reading John Ridley's LOVE IS A RACKET, and within the
first
> ten pages the narrator has given an old whore $50 bucks that he can ill
> afford to part with because he feels sorry for her. Are tough guys
> supposed to be so sentimental.

Could be the *reasons* people do nice things are because of selfish motivation, and that can be thoroughly hard-boiled. Feeling of guilt cause us to hand over the dough, or either it is a way to make himself feel like a
"good" person. Complex enough. I like that.

Trust me: The book is a hard-boiled ride.