RARA-AVIS: Re: Amos Walker and Never Street

Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 10:09:07 -0400

Bill Denton asked
>I'm about a third of the way through this and really like it. This is
>some good, solid, classic hardboiled action. Are all the Walker books
>like this?

I'm pleased to report that the rest of the Walkers (and indeed, almost everything else Estleman has written) are better than NEVER STREET.

Man, I was really disappointed with this one, even if I do seem to be out of the loop here. Paul and Gerald and various Bills all seemed to have loved it. Must be me. But I found it far too long and gimmicky. Some good scenes, but it was too clever and talky and self-referential by half. "Hey! It's just like a film noir!"

Sorry, Amos, we got that the first five or six times. Maybe it would all work better as an actual film. In fact, given Estleman's fondness for film, I wonder if maybe that was the original plan.

It's really too bad, because I rather like Amos' man-out-of-time schtick. I mean, he smokes and snarls and wears a suit and fedora, fer God's sake, and even he knows how out of it he is. And cranky! I don't think he ever had a day it didn't rain.

I know the feeling.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ It's Time for the 1999 Cheap Thrills P.I. Poll! Vote now! Vote often!