Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Non-series (was April Evil)

Juri Nummelin (jurnum@utu.fi)
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:42:55 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Bob Toomey wrote:

> STRONGARM is also very good. THE NAME OF THE GAME IS DEATH, the first
> book in the Drake series, is a mean little classic in its own right. In
> fact, I doubt Marlowe intended it to be a series, given the ending.

I read somewhere that it was Fawcett who forced Marlowe to revive Drake and make him something like a international spy. And the books Marlowe wrote according to this scheme aren't anything close to "The Name of the Game".

> Does anybody know what happened to Dan J. Marlowe? I seem to recall
> hearing he lost his memory at some point, stopped writing and, when he read his
> own novels he couldn't remember them, but thought they weren't bad.

I'd like to hear about this. I'm writing a short article on Marlowe. He died in 1987 but had stopped writing in mid-70s. Right now I'm reading
"Raven is a Blood Red Bird", which is credited both to Marlowe and William Odell. What was the nature of their collaboration? What other books has Odell written, besides at least one Nick Carter?

Juri jurnum@utu.fi