Re: Non-Marlowe Chandler [Was: RARA-AVIS: Re: April Evil]

Juri Nummelin (
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:36:02 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, ejm duggan wrote:

> AFAIK, the only oddity in the Chandler ouevre is a one-off sci-fi story,
> called something like 'Brass Door' or 'Bronze Door'.

What about "English Summer", a Henry James lookalike story? It's truly an oddity and it's not half as good as "Bronze Door", which reminded me of Nabokov. And there is also a short story about an alcoholic author, but the name escapes me. It struck me as quite good, actually the best of Chandler's non-HB stories. And there is a volume of his early poetry, although the excerpts of the stuff in MacShane's biography are quite, well, not very interesting.