Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Dumb Question by a Non-Hard-Boiled Reader

Bob Toomey (
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 01:12:35 -0500

Bruce Townley wrote:

> THE KILLER INSIDE ME is, of course, a tale with an eerily lucid
> first-person narration by a madman, taking this plot device even further.

A new variation on the Chinese torture -- death of a thousand cliché³®

> Much as I love Thompson's stuff, the ending to THE GETAWAY always has
> struck me as an act of desperation slappped together in the face of a
> looming deadline set by whatever cheap paperback house he was writing for
> at the time. Desperate but, as you say, a brilliant improvisation.

Who can tell with Thompson? For me the ending seems exactly right. They get away and here's the destination, the happy ever after place, Oz following a hostile takeover by the forces of rampant capitalism.