Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Non-series (was April Evil)

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 15:14:13 -0500 (EST)

I, too, started many HB authors through their series. I've only read a couple of John D's non-Travis books, but they've been so good I intend to read more. I especially liked One Monday We Killed Them All; how can you go wrong with a title like that?

I also started with Willeford's Mosley books, but have since come to like his others even more.

Lawrence Block wrote quite a few excellent one-shots, particularly Such Men Are Dangerous and Girl With a Long Green Heart.

Anyone who's read one of his Earl Drake novels knows Dan J. Marlowe can write great caper books. Four For the Money (I think that's the title, it's in a box) is an excellent non-series one.

Robert Kyle's the Golden Urge is also a good book about a bank job.

I recently picked up a non-Helm Donald Hamilton about a hit man, but haven't read it yet.

And I must thank members of this list for turning me on to the last three authors.

Mark