RARA-AVIS: Dumb Question by a Non-Hard-Boiled Reader

ejm duggan (ejmd@cwcom.net)
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 13:10:34 +0000

James Rogers <jetan@ionet.net> wrote:

> Actually, I think some of the _real_ hardboiled stuff has a kind
> of comic aspect, as in James M. Cain....where the world isn't so
> much Chandler-corrupt as it is Beckett-hopeless. In fact, I kind
> of think I'd like to see a Keaton or Chaplin version of _Postman
> Always Rings Twice_.

Woah!!! that's (((mind-boggling))) but ... what an interesting thought!

> Then again, I've always wanted to hear Groucho Marx reading Chandler.

The reader-in-the-mind's-ear for me is always Alastair Cook (not just of Chandler, but for reading out loud ... esp. for pace).

> Anyway, I didn't think it was a dumb question.

Ditto: interesting question (there is often humour in the hard-boiled, it's kind of needed to provide relief from/contrast with the world-view, and often serves to establish the hb protagonist's cynicism).

ED