RARA-AVIS: Mari

Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 08:57:23 -0400

Mari will be missed.

She was one of the very first people to visit my site (back before it was even really open) and we certainly crossed swords often enough on various lists and private e-mails. She may have even privately cursed me a few times , and rolled her eyes at some of my more gaseous outpourings. I know I did, anyway, at some of hers. But I never doubted the sincerity and intelligence of her fierce vision, or the integrity of her words.

And I think it's a real testament to her strength of character that, in these days when nobody's pain seems to be valid unless they announce all the details to the world on Oprah, Mari didn't feel the need to give us blow by blow details of her ordeal. I didn't even know she was sick.

She was a stand-up dame, in the very best meaning of the phrase. She had true grit.

I didn't even really know her, but I'll miss her.

Kevin