RARA-AVIS: Whacking Jimmy William Wolf

Peter Walker (pw@pw.cablenet.co.uk)
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 11:21:47 +0000

Whacking Jimmy- Will Wolf- No Exit Press

Here's another one I really loved recently - as hard as a you know what and twice as much fun....It reminded me of the
 last episode of "The Sapranos" Tony Soprano, with a hung dog look, lamented the fact that an attempt had been made on his life by
"...two guys with 9mm's. My self esteem is at an all time low". Life, for a modern Mafia family, is definitely getting more complicated. When Don Vittorio Tucci, head of the Detroit mob, is dying and his various "business associates" jockey for power he chooses his grandson Bobby as the next Don. Blood is thicker than, well blood, especially when its splattered all over the place and unless Bobby, a no-mark college student civilian, can work something out he'll be sleeping with the fish before you can say "Keep your friends close.....". And with friends like these - including a mother who makes Lucrecia Borges look maternal - Bobby is quickly in it up to his neck. To top it all he has to `make his bones' by whacking Jimmy Hoffa. This is a book which is fast, violent, believable and quite simply a top notch read. It's also very funny. But Wolf doesn't sacrifice the humour for believable characters. There's a kangaroo called Ali who offs a Mafia consigliere is a scene that had me laughing out loud. It is both original and hilarious and may well, like "The Sapranos", make you wish it wont end. And it has absolutely nothing to do with the untimely demise (for him) of Mr Hoffa. Honest.

So no buts this time - Pete recommends - buy it.