Re: RARA-AVIS: Sensitive detectives

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:26:54 -0500 (EST)

Bob T wrote:

<<Hammet is harder to follow. Hammett had been there. Eventually he forgot that and wrote "The Thin Man." This is the one that got copied, spawning an entire subgenre of screwball married couples tripping over corpses between the martinis. Nobody's even come close to doing Sam Spade.>>

I would never try to argue that The Thin Man was Hammett at his best, but I'm not sure it is evidence that he "forgot." Other than the corpses, the rest, particularly the drunken hijinks, were also true to his life, just his later, writer's life.

Mark