Re: RARA-AVIS: Sensitive detectives

Bruce Townley (btownley@sirius.com)
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 21:20:05 -0800 (PST)

On 30 Nov 99 at 07:59 Brian Lawrence sent: Sensitive detectives

>One more question, and I'll shut up for a while. Does hardboiled have to be a
>PI story?

And a very good one it is, indeed. While I can think of noirs that aren't set in cities or have detectives in em (the pyschological Western flick, PURSUED with Robert Mitchum, satisfies both of those lacks) other than Stark/Westlake's Parker stories I really can't bring to mind a PI-less harboiled tale. There may be cops (public ones usually) a-plenty in a Parker novel but they by no means drive the narrative.

Bruce T. = btownley@sirius.com

"Sure I live bad. But at least I don't have to work at it."

-SLACKER