Re: RARA-AVIS: Country noir

a.n.smith (
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:44:37 -0600

> u-turn. it's very dark, and a whirlwind of stylistic experiments. at the
> end i just sat there and laughed. don't want to give anything away, but
> it's a fun ride.

It's better than most critics led me to believe. A lot of credit has to go to John Ridley, a hardboiled writer I think is doing some great work. He wrote the script based on his book STRAY DOGS. His most recent ones: LOVE IS A RACKET and EVERYBODY SMOKES IN HELL. Funny, violent, nice characters. Reminds me of Jim Thompson, but not country. These two are set in LA.

Neil Smith