RE: RARA-AVIS: Country noir

Martha Fischer (
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:34:58 -0600

i would say the movie is even more consumed by its style than someone who, until nixon, hated stone with a passion, i really enjoyed u-turn. it's very dark, and a whirlwind of stylistic experiments. at the end i just sat there and laughed. don't want to give anything away, but it's a fun ride.

martha <>

-----Original Message----- Martha Pennigar wrote:

> Someone else asked if there were such a thing as country noir. I can't
> answer that question, but I can recommend three writers with books set
> in rural places.

I've just seen the film _U-Turn_: Ca. guy breaks down in Az ... and the plot twists from there ... Darkly amusing, with stylistic flashes from NBK still visible.