Re: RARA-AVIS: Contemporary HB (was Sensitive detectives)

pabergin (pabergin@gte.net)
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 11:45:40 -0500

<<I am hard pressed to think of any successful writers who are writing in a real HB style.>>

Well, Loren Estleman's Amos Walker series comes to mind. Also Jim Hall's work pre-Red Sky at Night. Michael Stone's Streeter books. And what about Robert Campbell's La-La Land series?

Two hot prospects in HB comedy are Fred Willard (Down on Ponce) and Tim Dorsey (Florida Roadkill).

And anyone who is prepared to admit that HB can be rural (self-evident to anyone who's read Cain or Merle Costiner) owes it to himself to read Peter Bowen's Gabriel du Pre books and ANYTHING -- really, anything, though I prefer the Big Table, MO, books -- by Daniel Woodrell.

HB is out there. It has evolved in the 70-odd years since it first appeared, and may thus be a little harder to recognize at first glance (no more blondes spilling out of their blouses on the covers, for one thing). But isn't that what distinguishes art from hack work? PB