RARA-AVIS: Colonel Sun and Bond

Doug Bassett (dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:25:16 -0800 (PST)

I'm not the world's biggest Ian Fleming fan (actually, I like the movies a lot more than the books), but if you like the original Fleming novels you'll like Amis's Colonel Sun, which is very, very close to the original.

There's nothing to say that spies can't be hard-boiled, but I'm not sure Bond and Fleming qualify. The cartoonish villains and very British tone put me more in mind of the Robert Louis Stevenson/H. Rider Haggard/Talbot Mundy school of British adventure fiction. As somebody's already said, Adam Hall's
"Quiller" series, particularly the excellent debut The Quiller Memorandum, are far closer in spirit to the hardboiled style.

At least in my opinion.

Doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com