Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS - Kingsley Amis's *Colonel Sun*

R.A. Newman (ran24@hermes.cam.ac.uk)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:31:43 +0000 (GMT)

> I haven't read any of the
> continuations by the new guy, Raymond Benson.

They're dreadful. Lots of 'Bond got on red bus outside Buckingham Palace and rode it as far the Tower of London' type Britishness.

> As has been pointed out, Bond, though tough as old shoes, lacks the
> "common-touch" colloquialism that I think is essential to be classified as
> hard-boiled (something that Adam Hall's British agent, Quiller, *does*
> have). On the other hand, Fleming did consider himself to be a member of
> the Hammett-Chandler school and said so in interviews.

In 'Goldfinger' he even has Bond purchase 'the latest Raymond Chandler' to read on the plane! Whether Bond is hard-boiled or not is a matter of some debate, but he's sufficiently martyrs himself, and takes enough punishment, to be considered so in my mind. Fleming is a terrible writer, though...

Ray Newman.