Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Missing pulp detectives

Bill Hagen (billha@ionet.net)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:09:40 -0600 (CST)

Kevin wrote, The thing is, Baker and Nietzel's book, while a real treat for P.I. fans, is pretty weak when it comes to pulp eyes, so it may not mean too much that they're not listed. It concentrates almost exclusively on P.I.s published in books.
---------------------- Agree completely here. I use it because it's available, not because it's comprehensive.
------------------------- It's a great book, mind you. It's just too bad there isn't something similar on pulp eyes. Ron Goulart's entertaining DIME DETECTIVES is a pretty good starting point, but it doesn't have any of the ones you listed. Does anyone know of a good reference source on detectives from the pulps?

---------------------------- Hear, hear. Surely there must be a comprehensive index somewhere, maybe even online...? Noticed that a volume I contributed to has just been published, Oxford Guide to Mystery and Crime Writing, but I'm under no illusion as to its completeness, espec. as regards pulp appearances.

Bill Hagen
<billha@ionet.net>