RARA-AVIS: Sensitive detectives

Brian Lawrence (bdlawrence@netscape.net)
22 Nov 99 10:37:01 CST

Hello,

Thought I'd introduce myself as well as post a question. I'm new to the list and a writer and a reader of hardboiled and other mystery / suspense stuff. My first book, while not a detective novel, has been called hardboiled by some reviewers. I'm not sure, myself. I simply wrote it, didn't worry about classifying it. Anyway, if you're interested, you can check out my web page. By the way, the book is sold in electronic form only.

Now, for my question. Today's trend seems to be to give the detective more of a real life. They are becoming much more sensitive. While the mood often stays "dark", the detective is closer to being a real person.

Does this trend change the definition of hardboiled? And what are your thoughts on this trend? Finally, would, say, the Spenser books be classified as hardboiled?

Thanks,

Brian Lawrence http://www.eclectics.com/brianlawrence

____________________________________________________________________ Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com.