Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled Authors of the 20th Century

Juri Nummelin (jurnum@utu.fi)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:20:25 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Juri Nummelin and Etienne Borgers wrote:

> > So why not to organize for a list of
> > *Hard-Boiled/Noir* authors elected by the Rara Avians,
> > and widely publish the results?
>
> > We could go under these lines:
> > A. name 5 authors published originally in English you
> > consider as the bests (no order!)
> > in each of the 2 categories (total 10):

I rethought about this one and I wanted to say that it could be easier to make a list of American authors and include writers from other English-speaking countries in the second list. I've come to notice that British, Australian and Canadian writers of the genre don't usually come close to their American counterparts and they might lose the contest
(even though this isn't a contest). So I'd suggest that British, Australian, Canadian and New-Zealandese and other English-speaking authors are separated from American authors and put together with the foreign writers. (Well, they are all foreign to me... We don't have many HB writers here in Finland that could compete with the guys overseas.)

Juri jurnum@utu.fi