RE: RARA-AVIS:Made In USA (was: French films etc)

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:33:26 -0500 (EST)

I think the Big Sleep/BigLebowski connection was made by lazy reviewers who didn't know Chandler. The Coens have done numerous homages before
(Blood Simple/Jame M. Cain, Miller's Crossing/Hammett). I don't know if they ever claimed Lebowski was their Chandler movie (I think they did, though), but it certainly is Chandleresque. So too many people made the simple Chandler + Big = Big Sleep connection. However, the plot is actually far closer to Farewell My Lovely, with the usual fun Coen sidetrips.

Speaking of Neo-Noir, yesterday I ran across the book Detours and Lost Highways by Foster Hirsch. It looked interesting, is it any good? It also said he much earlier wrote the definitive history of Film Noir itself. I haven't read it -- is it that good or is the claim just the usual book jacket hyperbole?

Mark