Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Ellroy/French/Ellroy

cooper (jane@almaludo.freeserve.co.uk)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:10:36 -0000

I got Crime Wave for my birthday in September, (bizarrely, bought for me at a motorway service station) and was struck by the use of real characters in situations that if they were still alive, would end up with a major libel case,(Hush-hush, Tijuana Mon Amour and Hollywood Shakedown) the ones regarding Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jnr, Ida Lupino, Rock Hudson et al, lots of guns, quite a bit of drugs, blackmail and the usual gamut of the Ellroy universe (and specially featuring Dick Contino). I'm not arguing the literary merits of the work by the way, as I understood that the GQ stuff especially has got slagged big style. It ain't the LA quartet(quintet or however many it is, or will be) Jane Inthefirst@Onelist.com