RE: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy's characters

Martha Fischer (sakana@stlnet.com)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 09:32:19 -0600

i know stompanato is real-- his death as described in la confidential (i think) is accurate, he was stabbed to death by lana turner's daughter. can't recall the circumstances, though....

sakana@stlnet.com <mailto:sakana@stlnet.com>

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto:owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca]On Behalf Of Juri Nummelin Sent: Monday, November 15, 1999 8:37 AM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy's characters

I just finished "American Tabloid" and couple of questions linger in my mind.

Who are real characters in the novel? Is Lenny Sands real? And what about Dougie Lockhart? And who are not?

And what about Ellroy's recurring characters? Is Dick Contino real? And what about Spade Cooley? And Johnny Stompanato?

And just who the hell is Cathcart? His name is all over Ellroy's work: in "Brown's Requiem", in the Los Angeles quartet and in "Tabloid" Kemper Boyd's middle name is Cathcart. And I think there is an early Chandler novelette with Cathcart in it.

Nevertheless, a great book, better than I thought when I read it in English.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi