RARA-AVIS: Parker

Mark Blumenthal (blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 22:03:59 -0600

Like Helm, Parker is a pro. He is supremely confident and competent. In a later book in the series he is in a car with a gun trained on him. He doesn't worry about getting an opportunity to escape or to gain possession of the weapon. He merely decides not to turn the tables yet. He knows he can when he wants. Maybe not very realistic, but as the protagonist of a series he can be so assured. He is an amoral superman with no weakness that seems to hurt him in his profession. His plans go awry only because of bad luck, his associates' failings or treachery. If we want a more human protagonist, we should read Westlake's Mitch Tobin series written as Tucker Coe. Mark