Re: RARA-AVIS: Lehane (Potential spoilers??)

Timothy S. Oliver (CSEM@zianet.com)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 22:28:24 -0700

Okay. I've read four of his books and I think he's the most hard-boiled
> guy out there right now.

Sorry, I just can't tolerate this guy's books.

Too contrived; stilted dialogue, predictable plots, two-dimensional characters. I barely struggled through the first one, so maybe he's gotten better.

The business with his partner getting knocked around by her husband just doesn't ring true. She needs to go to work with Mike Hammer. A little chin music. Guy'd be in Harvard Yard picking his teeth up with two broken arms by Chapter 2.

Most hard-boiled guy out there right now? What about George Pelecanos, Kent Anderson, Dannie Martin, Michael Connelly, or James Crumley?