Re: RARA-AVIS: George V. Higgins

Mario Taboada (
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 08:09:38 -0800 (PST)

<<I heard that George V. Higgins died this weekend. Have any of you tried his novels? It may be arguable if he's worthy of a hard boiled list, but I think it is unarguable that he had a knack for criminal and politico dialogue.>>

Sad news, indeed. Higgins had a definite hardboiled attitude; as a writer of dialogue and, more in general, as a stylist, he was one of the very best crime writers of the past 25 years. His _The Friends of Eddie Coyle_ is a masterpiece. He was an experimental writer, always changing, always trying new things. He did not get the recognition he deserved.

===== Mario Taboada

"It is our belief that no writer can improve his work until he discards the dulcet notion that the reader is feeble-minded, for writing is an act of faith, not a trick of grammar."

E.B. White