Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled vs. soft

Juri Nummelin (jurnum@utu.fi)
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:54:22 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Etienne Borgers wrote:

> There's more than Grafton in the line of culprits.
>
> All these characters that you remember only because
> they eat wild mushrooms, cultivate orchids, are
> passionate by breeding dogs with no tails,,, [just
> complete yourself the endless list], make the general
> public think they enter the world of real mystery
> fiction.. and tradition goes way back to the classic
> "detective" of the cosies and whodunits, to whom you
> had to add some singular traits to distinguish the one
> from the other, in endless similar plots.

It's interesting to note that there is no similar approach to describe the character's personality in so called serious literature. Why should an HB novel be different? I think persons should and could be described without all the irrevelant gimmicks that have nothing to do with the plot itself!

Juri jurnum@utu.fi