Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled vs. soft

Jason Debly (DEBLY@nbnet.nb.ca)
Mon, 08 Nov 1999 05:59:03 +0000

I agree totally! Unfortunately, publishers and agents seem to think this mundane trivia has some sort of literary quality when actually it has no baering on character or plot or anything else for that matter. I have been told by a number of editors and agents that Sue Grafton's success is part of the reason for the demand of this poor writing habit. Grafton's success has caused editors to search for the next Grafton. She is the worst offender of this trend and even though she is by no means a hard boiled writer, her success has affected what publishers are looking. for. Trust me, as an amateur hard boiled detective novelist, it ain't fashionable to be one right now.