RARA-AVIS: Re: Delurking

Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 11:11:12 -0400

>The question was.... who would be considered the first Hard-boiled
>detective and author?

The first hardboiled story
(featuring, in this case, a nameless adventurer)
"The False Burton Combs" by Carroll John Daly
(December 1922, Black Mask)

The first P.I. story
(featuring a hard-boiled sleuth who defines his profession as a private detective):
"Three Gun Terry" by Carroll John Daly
(May 15, 1923, Black Mask)

The first Race Williams story:
"Knights of the Open Palm" by Carroll John Daly
(June 1, 1923, Black Mask)

The first Continental Op story:
"Arson Plus" by Dashiell Hammett
(October 1, 1923, Black Mask)

The first hardboiled private detective novel: The Snarl of the Beast
(featuring Race Williams) by Carroll John Daly
(1927)

Of course, all of these are probably debatable, and what we really mean here is private eyes. I mean, theoretically, Sherlock Holmes was a private detective, too, but I find it a stretch to consider him a private eye , at least as we've come to understand the term.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ IT'S OFFICIAL! October is Dashiell Hammett Month. Don't play the sap for anyone.