RARA-AVIS: Burke review

Gary Warren Niebuhr (piesbook@execpc.com)
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 08:37:24 -0600

>"As a story, Heartwood creaks like an old leather satchel. It is an
>awkwardly constructed wannabe thriller that is as stale as 1950s kitsch.
>That the journey the characters take is violent is less important than that
>it is tedious. And for all of James Lee Burke's skills as a writer, he has
>to struggle mightily just to keep the machinery of his tale from rusting to
>a complete stop."

The thing that bothered me the most about HEARTWOOD is that the plot and cast of characters seemed like the same outline from CIMARRON ROSE.

Best, GWN

P.I.E.S. (Private Investigator Entertainment Service) Catalogs of new and used private eye fiction Gary Warren Niebuhr, Owner P. O. Box 341218 Milwaukee, WI 53234 piesbook@execpc.com
<http://www.execpc.com/~piesbook/piescatalog.html>