RARA-AVIS: Whatever happened to Tom Kakonis?

Doug Bassett (dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 16:48:04 -0800 (PST)

I was looking at my books the other day and sort of rediscovered him. He published a handful of really fine crime novels in the late 80's and early 90's -- I have Michigan Roll, Double Down, and Criss-Cross. The first two feature an interesting re-occuring character, a professional gambler, and were sort of like a darker-hued Elmore Leonard. Criss-Cross, in my opinion, is an neglected hardboiled classic, a great caper novel about a group of thieves who plot to rob a Wal-Mart type store on Christmas Eve.

Anyway, I think there was one other book and then...nothing. Does anyone know what happened to him? Is he still writing? Is he dead?

Thanks in advance, Doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com