Re: RARA-AVIS: Howard Browne obit

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 14:43:07 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to a local mystery store owner (known as X, of X Marks the Spot), I went straight to Howard Browne's (under the name John Evans) Paul Pine series after reading Chandler and Hammett. I loved his Halo books, and was thrilled when X sold me a copy of A Taste for Ashes years later (way out fo print and extremely hard to find at the time), on his last day of business.

I also enjoyed Thin Air, which Browne wrote under his real name. It formed the basis for episodes of both Rockford Files and Simon and Simon; Browne wrote or co-wrote one of those scripts himself, although I forget which one.

I guess now I will have to stop waiting for one more Paul Pine book.

Mark