Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard boiled vs. soft

Bob Toomey (btoomey@javanet.com)
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 17:35:59 -0500

> Sometimes I think that John D. MacDonald's later style
> (with lots of talk about "issues", injecting personal
> opinion, and so on) was the origin of this modern
> epidemic of idle chat. John D. had lots of class and
> was a born storyteller, so he could get away with it,

No, he couldn't. Same thing happened to Heinlein, and he couldn't get away with it either.

"But I observed that the artisans fell into the same error as the poets; because they were good workmen, they thought they knew all manner of high things, and this defect in them overshadowed their wisdom." ---Plato

BobT