Re: RARA-AVIS: parker/keifer

Mark Blumenthal (blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 01:18:18 -0600

 Bob Toomey wrote

> In addition, Alan Grofield, the actor who finances his stage work by
> pulling the occasional heist with one of Parker's strings, appears in
> three Parker novels (The Score, The Handle, Butcher's Moon), and in four
> solo novels:
>
> The Damsel
> The Dame
> The Blackbird
> Lemons Never Lie
>
> Grifield is sort of the lighter side of Richard Stark, and his solo
> books aren't bad, but there's no substitute for Parker.

Westlake has said when he was writing both series concurrently he'd decide which one to work on by how he felt when he got up in the morning. Evidently had he had more down mornings than cheerful ones.

I think we've mentioned Grofield's Black Bird has the same first chapter as Parker's Slayground. Mark