Re: RARA-AVIS: Art imitating life (Was Japanese movies)

pabergin (
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 13:19:05 -0400

Mario asks: have any
>hardboiled U.S. authors ever gotten hurt (or at least
>threatened) because of their writings? I can't recall
>any cases.

HB novelist Eugene Izzi died under mysterious circumstances awhile back. He was found hanging outside his office window. I think the final verdict was suicide, though there were more than enough unanswered questions to make a case for either murder or death by misadventure.

And, of course, there's the acid attack that blinded Victor Riesel back in the '50s. He wasn't a novelist, but a columnist writing about organized labor, which is pretty hard boiled, if you think about it. They charged a guy (nick)named Johnny Dio with the attack, but I don't recall if he was convicted or not. PB