RARA-AVIS: Hello!

Doug Bassett (dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 19:11:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, everybody:

This is my first posting to the list, although I've read your archives for some time now, so I feel like I know some of you already.

I've been interested in hardboiled fiction since I was a kid. One day I wandered into my local library and, just by chance, picked up a copy of John D. Macdonald's Deep Blue Goodbye. It was a good choice, obviously.

Regarding Macdonald's Condominium: I thought it was okay until the final third of the book. At that point Macdonald has to invent more and more improbable reasons to keep his characters in the storm's path, and eventually the whole thing becomes too contrived to be believed. Actually, I think Carl Hiassen's Stormy Weather is a better crack at the same subject.

(My favorite "big Macdonald book" is One More Sunday.)

Later, Doug

=====