Re: RARA-AVIS: Japanese movies (was Condominium)

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 19:26:49 -0400 (EDT)

Mario, Did the Japanese movie revolve around a female tax agent figuring out what was going on? If so, it's either A Taxing Woman or A Taxing Woman Returns.

Speaking of Japanese hardboiled/noir, Beat Takeshi Kitano has made several harsh movies. Violent Cop makes the most of Kitano's appearance, he looks kind of like a Japanese version of Charles Bronson. Sonatine, which had been released in the US by Tarantino's Rolling Thunder, is a bizarre Yakuza flick. And Fireworks (Hanna Bi) follows a cop after his partner is shot and his wife becomes terminally ill. All of his films I have seen explore that area where Zen and existentialism seen to meet.

Continuing in the Japanese hardboiled vein, I'm looking forward to reading The Tattoo Murder Case, which has been highly recommended to me.

Mark