RARA-AVIS: simple art

Jason M Boog (jboog@umich.edu)
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:11:35 -0400 (EDT)

Dear hardboiled's,

I'm coming out of lurkdom for some friendly advice. Does anybody know some books I could look at by Hammett (or at least with quotes) talking about how his private dick days relate to his stories and books? Also, I'm almost positive I read an essay by Chandler once where he talked about the Sir Mallory (Morte d'Arthur writer) and Marlowe/Malory connection. Would anybody happen to know where I saw that? At this point, I'd be happy to read anything by him (I already have the essay "Simple Art of Murder") about the romantic knight and private dick connection. And, I'd just like to defend The Dain Curse. It may be a bit disorganized, but any book that has a chapter named "God" that's as full of crazy hardboiled action as The Dain Curse is high on my list of favorites. Thanks for any help.

Sincerely, Jason Boog